Saturday, June 2, 2012

Reality TV and Food? Count me in!

I like Gail Simmons--not only is she very knowledgeable about food but she gets to wear great clothes and eat for a living.  She has THE BEST JOB EVER (other than being mother to my children, which is the greatest job, period).  But, seriously, I want to be paid to eat for a living.  Unfortunately, my food knowledge is almost entirely gleaned from Food Network shows and one encounter with Susur Lee and his food (totally amazing) so I'm pretty sure I would be a terrible food presenter.  But Gail is a great food presenter.  AND she's on Top Chef.  AND she's Canadian.  AND she wrote a book!  How could I resist?  
  
Eating with My Mouth Full by Gail Simmons

I love food on TV and I particularly love good reality TV about food...and the best of the best is Top Chef.  As a person who has extensively googled about reality shows are filmed, Gail's chapters on being a Top Chef judge and Top Chef: Just Desserts host were enthralling!  She provides great anecdotes without giving away too much.  All the details, little insights and explanations of how such a production happens were morsels of goodness to my ever hungry behind-the-scenes appetite.  Now I just have to get myself on a set one day to see it happen in person! 

Even better than the reality TV dish are her food descriptions. They are amazing.  Drool worthy.  Made me want to live at the St. Lawrence Market and my next trip be to the Aspen Food & Wine Festival.  I was inspired to cook (and bake) for days.  I was made a better cook through her little hints and offerings as she weaves her tale, starting from childhood in Toronto to line cook in Toronto to marketing manager to event producer to TV personality.  Her tone is upbeat and optimistic while maintaining a vulnerability and honesty that I wasn't expecting but really appreciated.  She seems so real as she tells her story and yet the food seems completely unreal and incredibly delicious.  Her lovely, conversational tone adds accessibility to high-end food and life experiences.    

It is clear that Gail loves food.  She made me want to eat and eat and eat.  It was a truly delicious read.  But more than that, it is clear she loves people, her family, her friends and her colleagues.  Her love and respect shine through; her humility and openness make you love her.  

Enjoy the book but make sure you have good snacks handy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment